photo Header_zps2a3973d1.png

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Welcome Reception

On Wednesday night Josh and I attended a welcome reception at the Mayo Foundation House. The house is amazing! It is a tudor style that looks like a castle. At the home's website it says that Dr. and Mrs. William J. Mayo gave their residence to Mayo Clinic in 1938 as a meeting place "for the good of mankind. 

I got there just after the class picture, boo. I'll have to add it once they give Josh a copy. We had drinks and hors d'oeuvres while mingling on the main floor and then headed up to a grand hall on the third floor for dinner. They served an appetizer, salad with grilled asparagus, delicious prime rib, and banana split ice cream cake. We were blown away. After dinner, the director gave some interesting history about the house and welcomed us to stay and tour it. We saw tiffany lamps, famous paintings, and a vase from early B.C. Egypt. We walked through Dr. Mayo's personal library. He would rate books from A-F and get rid of books that were Ds and Fs. Funny story, there's one book that someone gave him who knew that Dr. Mayo gave books ratings. He wrote an A+ before giving it to him and on the next page is a B+ by Dr. Mayo.



I loved the stained glass behind the stage. It was added in 1943 and depicts the history of medical education, practice and research. 

a view of the back of the Foundation House while walking through the garden

I was so lucky to find Bethany to babysit Peyton. A woman recommended her in Side By Side Bible Study newsletter. She's about to be a senior at Baylor and Peyton had fun while she was here. She even left the living room cleaner that it was before she got here. Score!


2 comments:

  1. Yay! You're back! So glad y'all are adjusting nicely to your new home. You are actually closer to us now :) We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote you a long note and somehow deleted it!! I really enjoyed the blog about the evening at Mayo house. I felt like I was there..well almost. Sounded so elegant and fun. Peyton looked like he enjoyed the evening too with his very cute baby sitter. She goes to Baylor? I got your very sweet thank you note..means a lot.. love it. and love you 3. Your Mamaw. I signed anonymous cause I don't know what I'm doing here.

    ReplyDelete

Thank so much for sharing your thoughts. We love reading them!