photo Header_zps2a3973d1.png

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Minnesota lately...

I'm reminded on a daily basis that I'm not "in Texas anymore." Whenever I open my mouth to speak, whether it be at the gym or a restaurant, the average response is "Where is your accent from?" Hilarious!

Yesterday at my Side by Side Christmas party I overheard a girl from Iowa say "there's the United States and then there's Texas. Know what I mean?" I started laughing and she said to me, "Wouldn't you agree?" Not really sure about that! She's a super sweet new mom that always makes us laugh, so I know she didn't mean it rudely. I think it's interesting to live outside of Texas and see what people think about it.

There's also the snow. Maybe this should have been it's own post. I'm a total rookie when it comes to this weather! I heard some people at the gym say that this is a particularly cold December. Awesome. My neighbor moved here from California around the same time as us, so it's nice to have another newbie to complain with. Today she told me that she hates how it sounds driving on snow. It kind of sound like you're driving on styrofoam.


My poor little Peyton. He's not too sure about the weather too! But he knows more about how to dress for the cold than I do. The teachers sing this song to his class while they get dressed for recess:


We're also learning how to "winterize" our skin. Your hands and lips get pretty chapped up here. Poor P gets really rosy cheeks if he goes outside for too long. I've found that Aquaphor or Vanicream work really well. We're also having to deal with static hair from wearing hats and scarves. This causes you to shock things when you touch. P thinks its funny when that happens.


My other neighbor is a native of Minnesota. She has been so sweet to help prepare us for winter. Yesterday she sent me a text that made me laugh. It's currently 1° outside and the windchill feels like -20°. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that! We're supposed to get some warm weather soon…maybe it will feel like I'm in Texas?




3 comments:

  1. 20's feeling warm! Oh no! I would not make it! --Brytni

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no!! Texas is cold too, but it is just in the mid 50s low 60s. It is still VERY cold, one of the coldest Decembers I can remember in a long time.

    Also, carry Bounce dryer sheets with you. They help remove static and if you are wearing socks in the house, don't slide your feet when you walk. That will help eliminate some of the static issues.

    Good Luck, we can't wait for you to be down here next month ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness! Your neighbor's text cracks me up! It is in the 20s here and it does NOT feel warm to me! You really must be freezing!

    I need to learn Peyton's song. I never had to remember to put my kids in cold weather clothes in SA and keep forgetting to do it here until I get outside. I actually had to go buy socks because I never used them for Matthew. And I've had a few moms up here lend me hats because I forgot to bring one for Ian :)

    Cute post!

    ReplyDelete

Thank so much for sharing your thoughts. We love reading them!