photo Header_zps2a3973d1.png

Thursday, July 11, 2013

love story

the infamous laundry room
Most of you know that Josh and I were college sweethearts. We met in February of 2006 in the Traditions dorm laundry room. I knew right away he was the one. I even went upstairs "to get something" and brought a good friend downstairs to meet him and see what she thought. I should write a post about that night sometime.

Fast forward about 2 and a half years later to July 11, 2008. I had just started the second summer session at A&M and was recovering from a tonsillectomy. (Yes, I had my tonsils removed at 21...it's no fun, I definitely don't recommend it) Josh called me while I was walking to class that morning and said we should go on a date. He told me he would pick me up at my apartment at 5:45 pm. In true Ashley fashion I lost track of time and hopped in the shower a 5 pm. When he got to my apartment to pick me up, he was pretty upset that I wasn't ready. We never went to dinner that early, so I didn't see what the problem was. He said he was really hungry and sat on my bed pouting. I felt bad about it and got ready as quickly as possible.

He chose La Bodega for dinner, which was one of our favorite restaurants in College Station. Of course there was a 30 minute wait. (I later found out this was messing with his time line.) We decided to sit in the bar area until our table was ready, and once I sat down a waitress spilled a shaker right under my feet. (which somehow didn't get on me.) Looking back, I realized that Josh wasn't acting like himself during dinner. He ate his food super fast, went to the bathroom a few times, and he wasn't talking much. As we were walking back to his truck, he said he made a "friend at football camp" and wanted me to meet him. This guy was staying at the Traditions dorm and it would just be a quick trip. Josh is always making friends so I didn't really think anything of it. I was kind of excited to go inside since it had been 2 years since we lived there. 

As we were walking up to the side entrance I said, "how are we going to get in? We don't have an access card." Josh said, "Well maybe someone will open it for us." We got to the door and there was a water bottle keeping it open. This is when I started to get suspicious. We walked down the hall towards the laundry room and I could see rose petals. Once we got to the door, Josh had to pull me in the room and I kept saying "oh my gosh! What are you doing? I can't believe this!" I think I also said "holy sh**" but let's pretend that didn't happen. 



check out the candle holders that Josh found at Michaels, so fun! (everyone knows I love bling)
Right before he got down on one knee, I remember saying "hang on" so I could set my purse down. (really, Ashley?) He proposed with my great-grandmothers diamond that was set in a solitaire. (so special to me) I said yes and the rest is history.


What just happened!? Josh had a huge smile that night :)


He thought through every detail, down to having my favorite colors and flowers. I love that he had Caleb and 3 of his football buddies set it all up exactly to his specifications. I have proof :) They had to turn people away from doing their laundry. I can only imagine what those people thought.




Caleb was a huge help that night

setting out the marbles
waiting, waiting and more waiting since I wasn't ready on time
Congrats on making it to the end of my novella. I can't believe it's been 5 years since this special day. I remember that my face hurt from smiling so much. I still get giddy when I think about it.

1 comment:

  1. I remember Josh calling me in Virginia to tell me he was going to pop the question that night and then getting the phone call after! We are so happy you two fell in love and the four of us are such good friends. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Thank so much for sharing your thoughts. We love reading them!