photo Header_zps2a3973d1.png

Monday, July 1, 2013

the day my heart broke a little

I LOVE having a little boy. Growing up, it was just me and my sister and I would always wonder what it would be like to have a brother. When Josh and I were dating, we would daydream about how we hoped to have a boy first so he could protect his little sister. (that is IF we have one...Russells pretty much ONLY have boys and we would be thrilled to have another boy someday) When we found out on November 10, 2010 that we were having a boy, we were thrilled! And boy has it been a fun ride. From being "sprinkled" on when he was a newborn, to the obsession with cars/tractors/heavy machinery/sports, to his curiosity about life...I've loved every step of the way! (and did I mention I love buying boy clothes? Don't get me started on how cute he looks in preppy polos and plaid shorts.)

Being a mother has been one of the toughest yet rewarding jobs ever. I absolutely love being Peyton's mom. There's nothing sweeter than a big ol' hug around the neck or for him to say "I love you mama" unexpectedly. One of the hardest parts of motherhood is the "mother's guilt." Whether it be "Am I paying enough attention to him?" or  "I wish I wasn't at work so I could be with him" or "Am I being too hard in disciplining him?" (this one is tough for me) I felt a whole new world of mother's guilt this weekend. Nothing hurts more than when your child gets injured.

Before lunch on Saturday, we went outside to play in the green space beside our house. There's also a small cul-de-sac right outside our front door. I was playing with the basketball and Peyton was sitting on the curb. He leaned forward to grab his dump truck and I heard a loud thump. (I still cringe when I think of it) Poor Mr. P got a little road rash right on his face! He didn't cry very much because he tries to be tough, but he kept saying "NO NO stweet!" After that we went inside to assess and clean his injury. He kept saying that he wanted a band aid. Of course, I'll pretty much do anything when my child is hurt. After I put it on, he cried harder and wanted it off. No blood came out of his nose, but I texted Josh to ask about what a broken nose is like just to be safe. (Besides getting surgery for tubes in his ears at 9 months, this is his worst injury to date.) It turns out that children have a lot of cartilage and their bones are more flexible. God really knew what he was doing when he created children :) Psalm 139:14

Truth be told, Peyton handled it like a champ. He's actually kind of forgotten about it, except when we wash his hands and he sees it in the mirror. Me on the other hand, I feel horrible when I see it. (Josh does too) I've already gotten so many questions about it: at church, at Wal-Mart, and by a neighbor. I know that I need to get used to it. I'm sure there will be many more injuries possibly stitches or something in a cast. Now that I have this one under my belt, I'm hoping I will toughen up. Imagine how our Father feels when we as His children are hurt? Parenthood is the perfect image of His love for us, and I'm so blessed that I get to experience this.

Parents, have you gone through something like this? What's the worst injury your child has received?

right after it happened

a few hours later when he woke up from his nap


the next day
We'd love a little prayer for Peyton's injury to heal quickly and hopefully without a scar. Isn't he the sweetest?

1 comment:

  1. Poor Baby! That looks like it hurt! What a tough guy! Sounds like it's going great Ash. keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete

Thank so much for sharing your thoughts. We love reading them!